Incorporated in 1997, Canon India Pvt. Ltd. is a 100% subsidiary of Canon Singapore Pte.Ltd; a world leader in imaging technologies. Canon today has offices spread across 10 cities in India with an employee strength of over 1050 people and markets 160 comprehensive range of sophisticated and contemporary digital imaging products in the country. These include digital copiers, multi-functional peripherals, fax-machines, inkjet and laser printers, scanners, All-in-ones, digital cameras, digital camcorders , dye sub photo printers and semiconductors, card printers & cable ID printers.
Canon has pioneered five technology 'imaging' engines viz: Optical Engine, Electrophotography, Bubble Jet, Semiconductors and Display which drives Canon's cutting-edge technology products. With over 1100 registered patented technologies in Digital Cameras, 2300 in inkjet printers, 5600 in multifunctional printers and more than 200 in scanners, Canon has emerged as one of the leading technology innovators in the digital imaging space worldwide.
Canon India forayed into retail space with the launch of its exclusive brand retail store called "Canon Image Square.
" Canon has inaugurated 50 stores in 2011, added 43 stores in 2012, and targets to take the count to 300 stores by end of 2014. Canon's unique initiative to tap B, C and D-class cities of the country, Canon Image Express, reached 38 cities in Tier II and Tier III towns. With the acquisition of Océ Canon was positioned as the undisputed leader in professional and display graphics printing domain in 2010. At present Canon has 109 Canon Image Squares in 56 cities across India.
Canon India closed the year 2013 with revenues of Rs. 1,910 crore, 3% growth over 2012. In 2011, Canon India was ranked as one of the top 25 Best Employers in India by Aon Hewitt. The extensive study was conducted across 6 months and 200 companies with a stringent methodology to arrive at the rankings. Metrics covering information on business performance, organization structure, and HR strategy, policies and metrics, employee survey of random population, CEO interviews and on site audit to validate accuracy of information provided and included interaction with HR teams, group discussions with employees and managers, discussion with the CEO, and facility tour of the organization.
Canon takes pride in not only bringing quality products to the market; but also contributes to minimizing environmental burden through effective application of environmental technologies. Canon focuses on the development of resource conserving products that are smaller, lighter and easy to recycle. In India, Canon takes responsibility to dispose off end of life Canon products and other e-waste by sending such waste to government approved recycling agency.
Today, Canon India is certified for ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001. In 2006 and 2010, the company was certified for its "Strong commitment to excel" at the CII-EXIM Business Excellence Award. Over the last 14 years of its India growth story, Canon's comprehensive range of the latest digital imaging products supported by a trained sales force across the country has emerged as its key differentiator.
Canon has around 100 primary channel partners 14 National Retail Chain partners. Canon's service reach extends to over 2700 towns with over 200 service Engineers, 7 Canon owned service centers and 37 Canon Care Centers. Canon has over 6000 secondary retail points including 400 National Retail Chain store partners. Canon products are available in over 400 towns in India.
As part of the company's promise to enhance digital experience for consumers, Canon Image Lounge
was launched in 2008 in Gurgaon, Mumbai and Bangalore for customers to get a touch and feel of Canon products. The lounges provided a comprehensive display of Canon's vast range of offerings and display over 101 consumer imaging products for consumers to simply look, feel and experience without the compulsion on buying. Special photography workshops and other customer engagement programmes were conducted in these lounges.
Key Highlights 2012-13
- Launched new Wi-Fi enabled cameras in India
- Celebrated the opening of the 100th Canon Image Square store
- Launched EOS Academy to promote photography culture in India
- Canon launched cloud enabled next gen inkjet printers for digitally connected Indian homes
- In 2013, Canon launched Ultra light Portable scanner P-215 and a mobile app marking Canon's entry in the home segment
- In the same year Canon announced its entry in commercial printing domain by launching DreamLabo 5000 printer
- Pioneer of 100% cash back offer on laser printers under CLAP, Canon Loyalty Achievement Program
- Canon India's presence in the retail space for its exclusive brand retail store called "Canon Image Square" and has inaugurated total of 109 stores. Canon Image Square revenues in 2013 registered a growth of 25 % over 2012
- Canon launched a variety of technologies for digital cameras, camcorders, lenses, printers and MFDs in 2013
- Canon is featured in VentureOutsource.com's list of top 100 people influencing global electronics manufacturing services (EMS) for the year 2012
- As a part of Corporate Social Responsibility, Canon had launched the Green Cycle Program in 2010 for Printer and Cartridge E-Waste management. Canon has tied up with authorized E-Waste recycler TIC Group India Pvt Ltd who would be collecting and disposing the e-waste from the 45 OIC's
- In line with its continued commitment to the society, Canon India donated an eye check-up machine to the vision centre at Ferozepur Namak village in Mewat District of Haryana
- "Editors Pick", by Digit magazine to Canon IXUS 255 HS
- "Zero 1 winner", by Digit magazine to EOS 70D in 2013
- "T3 Winner" to IXUS 140 by T3 magazine in 2013
- "Best Imaging Device of the year" at NDTV Gadget Guru Awards 2012, for Canon PSA 100 Digital Camera
- "Best SLR Camera" awarded by Better Photogrpahy to EOS 1100D
- "Best Professional DSLR of the year", awarded by Smart Photography magazine for EOS 5D Mark II
- "Best mid priced DSLR of the year" by Smart Photography magazine for EOS 600D
- Asian Photography's"Digital SLR camera of the year, professional" for EOS 5D Mark II
- Smart Photography magzine's "Reader's Choice award"for camera of the year under the Best Compact Digital Camera and Best Bridge camera of the year category for SX40HS
- "Best Rated Professional DSLR" for the Canon EOS 5D II by Maxim magazine
- "Best Camera in the Point & Shoot Category" at TechLife Awards 2012 for Canon PowerShot S95
Kazutada Kobayashi is the President and CEO of Canon India. Under Kobayashi's leadership, Canon will further its focus on continued growth by bringing innovative products and solutions to the Indian market.
Dr. Alok Bharadwaj, Executive Vice President was awarded the most influential person in photography this year. He has also received the 'Pride of the Industry' award. Dr. Alok is also the receiver of the prestigious award of the Best CMO by the CMO council. He is also amongst the "Global Top 100 people influencing electronics manufacturing services (EMS)". Canon was also featured in the Digit- Icons of Trust survey wherein, Canon ranked No 1 in Digital Cameras and No 2 in Printers in 2009. 4Ps survey also positioned Canon as one amongst the 100 Most Valuable Brands with a rank of 87 in 2009. Apart from this, Canon stood at 87th rank in the Powerbrands survey of top 100 brands in India in 2009.